Models 5500, 7500 – The Best Low-RPM Vegetable Juice Extractor?
Two main models are available for home use: the Angelia 5500 and the Angelia 7500 with the only difference that the Model 7500 has an automatic function: if too much produce is added, the unit will automatically dispose of the excess produce it cannot efficiently cope with.
Angel Juicer Models Features, Benefits
Juicing Efficiency of the Juicer – 3-Stage Extraction
Angelia Juicers are a step above from other household juice machines such as Omega, Samson, or Green Star. The two surgical-quality, stainless steel augers are much larger for more efficient and easier juicing of stringy vegetables.
The twin gear mechanism is able to crush the produce with up to 3 HP power, while the augers will rotate at very low speed (82 rpm) to prevent oxidation of vitamins and other live nutrients.
3-Step Juice Extraction – Live Nutrients
Angelia Juicers Juice in 3 stages:
- 1st step: the dual augers apply concentrated pressure to the produce.
- 2nd step: the augers crush and grind the vegetables, fruits
- 3rd step: juice is extracted through a 3-step screen system from the pulp leaving only dry leftover.
The precision alignment of the two gears, their large size and high quality of material, the powerful motor , the 3-step filter system result in 3-times higher juice yield (according to the manufacturer).
Thanks to the heavy duty augers, the Angelia juicer is able to process even the most fibrous vegetables, crushing the cellulose fibers and cell walls to obtain vitamins, enzymes and other phytonutrients otherwise inaccesible. The result is a rich, dark-colored juice that contains live nutrients in concentrated and easily digestible form.
There’s little foam on top of the juice which is acceptable and doesn’t have effect on the taste of juice or its nutrition value.
The juice can be stored in refrigerator for up to 72 hours with minimal taste and nutrient loss.
What Does the Juicer Juice?
Angel Juicers extracts juice from all sorts of produce:
- vegetables – both hard, stringy types like celery, and soft veggies
- leafy greens – spinach, kale, lettuce, Swiss chards
- herbs, sprouts
Although Angel juicers can juice fruits, their biggest strength lies in the high efficiency at extracting juice from greens including wheatgrass, herbs and even pine needles.
Similarly to other auger-type juice machines, Angel juicers can perform other tasks besides juicing:
- making soy milk,
- fruit sorbets,
- grinding meat and herbs,
- making nut and seed butters
Method of Juicing: low-speed masticating-style juicing with two augers in 3-step process
Motor power: 3 horsepower grinding force
Revolution speed: 82 rpm
Material: stainless steel (SUS-304) (all parts including the twin gears)
Feed tube: 1.7″ (43.2 mm), round shape
Dimensions (L x W x H):19 1/2″ (495.3 mm) x 7 3/4″ (196.8 mm) x 10 1/2″ (266.70 mm).
Auger size: 8 3/8″ (212.70 mm) long, 2 3/8″ (60.32 mm) diameter
Weight: 24.46 lbs. (12 kg)
Colors: stainless steel, gold
Price range: cc. $950 – $1100.
Warranty: 5 years
What Can You Juice with it?
- Fruits: yes (including soft fruits)
- Citrus: yes
- Vegetables: yes
- Leafy Greens: yes
- Wheatgrass: yes
- It also juices pine needles.
Pros & Cons at a Glance
- high juice volume, dry pulp
- tasty, whole juice full of nutrients
- well-built, sturdy appliance
- simple to use/assemble & disassemble
- quiet (much less noisy than a centrifugal juice machine)
- sleek look
- easier to clean than the Norwalk juice press.
- cheap plastic juice & pulp collector for an expensive stainless steel juicer
Ease of Use/Cleaning:
Reliability/Durability: (due to plastic juice/pulp collectors)
Durability of the Juicer
Due to the exceptional quality of materials and full stainless steel construction, Angel juicers are very durable, long-lasting appliances.
The machines are backed by 5 year warranty on motor and 3-year warranty on gears and parts.
Further Features & Benefits of Angel Juicers, Model 5500 & 7500
- Simplicity – has only one screen – no need to change screens according to produce type. No need to align the two augers (some twin gear juicers’ augers need to be aligned by the dots on them). The single 3-stage juicing will do all the work.
Juicing with the Angel is really uncomplicated but keep in mind that it is a slow juicer so don’t try to rush it by feeding too much produce at once.
- Ease of Use and Cleaning – the simple construction means simple operation and less clean up. Although to get clean the screen needs some brushing, but this is the same with all other auger type juicers.
Stainless steel parts won’t stain unlike plastic parts of other juicers that get discolored by carrots, oranges, greens, even after a couple of times of use.
- Quiet – despite the heavy duty motor, the juicer operates very silently.
- Hygienic construction – the full stainless steel parts are antibacterial.
- Long Shelf Life – juice retains its quality fro i up to 72 hours in refrigerator
- Digital Controls: Start-Stop-Reverse switches plus a power indicator in red, rocker type main switch is at the back of the unit.
- 6 Safety Mechanisms – including a heat sensor that automatically stops the motor in case of overheating.
- Automatic Heat Sensor,
- Extra Rocker Switch,
- Internal Gear Protection,
- Reinforcement of Switch Panel,
- Double Protection of motor and Main Housing Unit,
- the Screen Housing.
High Nutrient Content of Juice Obtained with Angelia Juicer – Laboratory Analysis
A laboratory analysis was performed by the Korean Advanced Food Research Institute that compared performance of 4 juicers including the Angelia. The 3 other units included another twin gear juicer, a single gear unit and a centrifugal juicer.
500 mg juice was extracted with each machine and the calcium and magnesium contents were measured:
Twin Gear Juicer
Single Gear Juicer
Test results obtained from Angelia Juicers Official Website.
- Insert the Driving Gear through the Driving Gear Shaft. Then, push the gear fully into the slot. Make sure the gears are fully seated.
- Insert the Free Wheel Gear through the Sub-Shaft – Make sure the gears are fully seated before operating.
- Slowly slide the screen housing over the twin gears and push it back.
- Push the clamp down to lock the screen housing to the motor base unit.
- Place the screen housing cover on the screen housing.
- Put the juice container and pulp collector in place (the pulp collector goes at the end of the juicer).
- Plug the power cord into an appropriate electrical outlet.
- Press the Main Power (red) button – power indicator light turns red.
- Start the juicer by pressing the “Start” button.
- Start adding small portions of produce guiding it down the chute with the pusher.
Tips for Efficient Juicing With the Angelia Juicer
- Due to the very low speed of the machine it is essential that you add food in small quantities otherwise the gears may jam, hindering juice extraction.
- Overload of the juicer can also cause leaking at the clamp. In case of jamming press and hold the Reverse button for 2-3 seconds then press the Start button again to resume juicing. If it doesn’t help you’ll probably need to disassemble (see steps below) the machine to get rid of clogging. The Angelia 7500 juicer senses overload automatically and “vomits” excess produce out after several times of start and reverse.
- Press produce firmly all the way down the chute with the wooden plunger. It doesn’t matter if the plunger touches the gears.
- Cut fruits and vegetables into pieces; that fit into the feed chute: e.g. cut carrots lengthwise into 5-6-inch pieces, insert them with the thinner parts down because it will be grabbed more easily by the gears.
- Leafy greens, wheatgrass, and herbs: feed a handful of them at a time with the stalks down so that the gears can suck them in.
- When you finished juicing press the On button to turn the machine off
- Unplug the power cord from the power cord connector on the rear side of the motor base unit.
- Lift the Clamp up to release.
- Hold the motor base unit by one hand and pull the Screen Housing out by the other hand.
- Carefully pull the Twin Gears out by holding with both hands.
Cleaning the Juicer
- Wash all removable parts in warm-lukewarm running water using the cleaning brush and a soft sponge.
- Remove fibers stuck on the screen area by using the Screen Cleaning Knife.
- Clean the Screen Housing & Twin Gears with the Cleaning Brush under running water: for thorough cleaning insert the cleaning brush into the screen housing and then pull it out by turning clockwise continuously. Repeat this step a couple of times until the inside of the screen housing is clean.
- For maintaining the polish dry the parts with a soft towel.
- Motor base: wipe the exterior with a slightly damp cloth and dry with a clean towel.
After some time calcium scale may appear on the surface of the machine parts (auger tips). Soak the part in vinegar bath ( vinegar dissolved in some water – if it’s only a thin layer a couple of hours soaking will do, if it’s a thicker layer then let it soak overnight): vinegar loosens the scale deposit and it can be washed away ( a bit of brushing will help).
Parts & Accessories – What Comes with the Angelia Juicer?
- Twin augers
- Feed chute + Screens (1 piece)
- Screen housing cover
- Housing with the motor
- Juice container (plastic)
- Pulp container (plastic)
- Cleaning brush
- Screen cleaning knife
- Wooden pusher
- Power Cord
Angel 5500 vs 7500 – What’s the Difference?
When you feed too much produce through the chute, the Angelia 7500 will automatically switch into reverse action and will try to expel the excess food to protect the motor and gears. The machine will be in the reverse mode until it gets rid off the clogging.
The Angel 7500 estimated price is $1000 – $1100, the Angelia 5500 retails for around: $950 – $1000. In my opinion if you do not try to “rush” the juicer, and add produce in small portions the Angel 5500 will do just fine.
Conclusion – Who Should Buy an Angelia Juicer?
The Angel juicer is ideal for those for whom juicing is a lifelong project and want to have a dependable, sturdy machine that extracts extra high levels of the produce’s juice and nutrient content.
If you plan to juice mainly fruits, carrots and beets then you’d better off with a less expensive single gear juicer (Omega 8004/8006) or even a good-quality centrifugal juicer (Omega Big Mouth, Breville, L’Equip 215 XL, Acme).