A Single Auger, Cold Press Juicer with Vertical Design
It was one of the first single-gear juicer with upright construction, along with the Omega Vert-330 or the Kuvings Silent Juicer.
Note: It is sold under the Oscar 930 Pro Juicer brand name in Australia and the United Kingdom.
More Features & Benefits
- Gentle juicing process that keeps the produce cells and the nutrients inside relatively intact (compared to the not-so-gently grinding method of fast centrifugal juice machines -rewarding you with 100% natural, vitamin and other phytonutrient-rich juice.
- The gentle extraction doesn’t mean slow and bothersome juicing – the strong, geared-down motor rotates the auger at 80 rpm but ensures high pressure (equivalent of 2 horsepower) to obtain as much as juice as possible within a short time.
- Takes up small space on the kitchen counter (H: 15.83″ x W: 9.81″ x D: 6.81″) and looks attractive (the HU-100 series comes in three color: white, black, sliver).
Does a great job with all sorts of produce: apple, pear, pineapple, celery, beets, spinach, chards, other green leaves, wheatgrass. Extraction is done in two steps for maximum nutrient content in juice:
- the gear first slowly crushes the produce pieces
- then, while forwarding the pulp toward the outlet, it squeezes out all the water content with all the vitamins, minerals, bioflavonoids and other goodies dissolved in it.
The Hurom HU-100 series is the 3rd generation already: it was redesigned and previous shortcomings were improved on: e.g: larger juice spout to prevent clogging of grass-type produce and herbs
Smooth with a bit of pulp. Tastes rich. A bit foam on top, but this normal with all similar machines.
Not as much foam though as with centrifugal units. This means less oxidation of nutrients.
No heat build up either due to the slow rotation.
What Does the Hurom Slow Juicer Juice?
It juices almost all sorts of veggies and fruits (though someone mentioned in a review that it didn’t juice carrots well: pulp was wet).
Cut produce up into 1.5-2″ pieces to fit in the feed chute.
When juicing grass type produce (herbs, wheatgrass, seaweed) make a bunch of them and guide it down the chute with the help of the plunger.
A fairly well-built appliance. BPA-free plastic materials are used in the parts.
The auger and the juicing screen are made of durable GE Ultem plastic.
There’s 10 warranty on the motor, only 1 year on other parts.
Note: It used to be 10 years on the entire appliance and was recently changed to 1 year.
The reason for this might be that there were lots of problems and breakings.
Features at a Glance
- Method of Juicing: low-speed dual-stage extraction by slowly squeezing the juice out of the produce - a patented Low Speed Technology System (LSTS)
- Motor power: 190 Watt (1/4 horsepower, 2 HP with gear reduction)
- Revolution speed: 80 rpm
- Construction: single auger, cold-press juicer, vertical, parts don’t contain BPA (bisphenol A)
- Gear Material: GE Ultem durable plastic, BPA (bisphenol A) free
- Gear size: ” (mm)
- Feed tube: 2.25″ x 1.25″, wide oval shape
- Dimensions (Lx H x D): ” x ” x “
- Weight: 14.2 lbs. (6.5 kg)
- Electricity consumption: 150 Watt
- Noise: cc. 35-55 dBa (talking is around 40-50 dBa) compared to high revolution centrifugal machines that make around 70-80 dBa
- Colors – HU-100 Series: White, Black, Silver
- Price range: $300 – $400
- Warranty: 10 on the motor, 1 year on other parts (which is very short compared to the Omega Vert’s or the Kuvings’ 10-year warranty on the whole appliance).
What Can You Juice with it?
- Fruits: yes, especially harder, high juice content types (firm apples, pears, pineapple)
- Citrus: yes
- Vegetables: yes: very good with beets, celery, carrots
- Leafy Greens: yes
- Wheatgrass: yes
Pros & Cons at a Glance
- full-flavored, nutrient-rich juice with just a right amount of pulp in it
- easy to use though you need to pay attention on putting the parts together in the right order
- low noise level
- lightweight, vertical design with small footprint
- a bit on the pricey side
- bits and pieces will stuck in the strainer holes, and to the sides and nooks (TIP: wash the juicer immediately after use)
- fibrous and stringy veggies may stuck on the silicone plug at the pulp outlet
Operating the Hurom Slow Juicer: Tips for Best Results
Putting Together the Parts
- Place the strainer into the spinning brush.
- Put them in the juicing bowl by aligning the red dot on the strainer with the red dot on the bowl. When properly aligned the strainer will lock into the bowl. Put the auger into the strainer and turn it until it locks into place.
- There is a rubber pad at the bottom of the bowl to prevent leakage: make sure it is properly plugged in.
- Place the lid with the feed chute on the bowl: again align the arrow on the lid with the red dot on the bowl, then turn until the the arrow will align with the CLOSE sign.
- Place the assembled top set on the base, twist the top until it aligns with the CLOSE sign.
- Connect the unit to a proper electrical outlet (120V/60Hz)
- Place containers under the outlets.
- To enjoy juicing with the Hurom (and with any other slow, auger type juicer) cut the well-washed, pitted produce into smaller wedges (around 2 “).
- Turn on the juicer by pressing the ON button (it has two other settings: OFF: stops the machine, REVERSE: use it (press and hold down) when the juicer gets jammed (due to stringy veggies or long grasses).
- Add veggie/fruit pieces through the feed chute, slowly, one by one. For optimal juicing don’t rush the process: it might clog the whole machine and then you would have to take it apart, remove the jamming, and start anew.
- Use the pusher only to help the food go down the tube, do not push or force them down.
Taking Apart the Juicer, Cleaning Tips
- Turn off and unplug the machine. Turn the lid to the right and lift it off the base.
- Rinse parts under running water. Use the provided cleaning brush to remove pulp residue. Parts are not dishwasher safe.
- Clean the swiping brushes every now and then to prevent molding. Make sure you completely unplug the rubber in the juice bowl before cleaning. Plug it back in after cleaning and drying.
Parts Included with the Hurom Slow Juicer
- Juicing Bowl with two outlets: one for the juice the other for the pulp
- Base with the motor inside
- Drum Lid with Feed Chute
- Spinning brush (helps with cleaning)
- Cleaning Brush
- Auger (or screw)
- Juice container
- Pulp bin
- Power cord (4.5 ft=1.5 m)
- Detailed user manual
- Recipe book
Summary & Rating
Overall the Hurom Slow Juicer is a good-quality machine though warranty on parts should be longer than 1 year. It will juice almost anything though stringy vegetables (e.g. celery stalk, ginger) tend to cause clogging.
It is not as good as the Kuvings or the Omega Vert Slow Juicer, but it still performs better than most other juice machines (especially the cheap, centrifugal ones), extracting more vitamins and other nutrients.
Available Models & Related Offers