What’s All the Buzz About It?
I’m sure you have seen infomercials on Jack LaLanne Power Juicers. Is this machine really that good as demonstrated in the TV commercial?
Read on to find out whether Jack LaLanne’s Power Juicer is a reliable machine and works as good as it’s shown on TV.
The article contains a summary of reviews provided by users on major online review sites to give you a more unbiased picture on this controversial family of juicers.
Pros & Cons of Jack LaLanne’s Power Juicers
- Easy to Use – assembly and disassembly is easy.
- Fast Juicing – with the automatic pulp ejection feature it allows continuous juicing – great for occasional use, but it can also used on a daily basis.
- Simple to Clean – once you get used to the cleaning process, you’ll be doing it in a few minutes – Removable parts are dishwasher safe. Just rinse and place them on the top shelf of the dishwasher.
- Wide Feeding Chute – this feature again accelerates the whole juicing process (no need to chop up the produce).
- Life-time Warranty on Motor
- Silent Operation – one of the quietest juicers.
- Bulky Size – the unit occupies a lot of counter space (see dimensions below).
- Shows Sign of Wear in a Very Short Time – Gets Easily Stained by carrots, beetroot.
- Motor is Not Powerful Enough – there are other similarly priced machines that have stronger motor.
- Only 60 Days (or 90 depending on distributor) Warranty on other parts than the motor.
- Juice is Quite Foamy – this will be the case with most other centrifugal juicers.
Main Technical Features
- Motor power – 250 Watts (1/4 HP), the Jack Lalanne is a centrifugal juicer with automatic pulp extraction (the pulp gets into a detachable plastic container). Similarly to other centrifugal style units, the machine runs at high RPM: (3600 RPM). It’s true that other popular juice extractors have stronger motor (like the Breville juice fountain models: 480 Watts, cc. 1 HP, or the L’ Equip 215 XL: 480 Watts).
- Stainless steel blade and mesh filter in a plastic frame. A special tool is included for the assembly and disassembly of the blade.
- Housing – the Power Juicer Deluxe, Elite and Professional have stainless steel finish (it’s silver colored plastic casing not real stainless steel), while the Classic model has all-white plastic housing.
- Comes with a pulp bin which is made of see-through plastic.
- Extra Wide Feeder (3 inches) – this is one of the main benefits of Jack LaLanne Power Juicers, since you can easily and quickly juice whole fruits. One disadvantage of juicing whole fruits that you won’t see whether the core of the apple or orange is rotten. Another con of adding the fruit whole with core, seeds and stem that it shortens the blade and motor life. The large feeding chute is good if you’re going to juice lots of apples, oranges and carrots – you just drop the mid-size apple in the chute and help it move down with the plastic plunger (included for all Jack Lalane juicer models).
- Height: 14.5 – 16.5 ” (depending on model)
- Width: 12″
- Depth: 15.5-16″ (depending on model)
- Weight: 12 pounds (6 kg).
Consumer Reviews – Jack LaLanne Juicers
Based on the mixed ratings and reviews of Jack Lalanne’s Power Juicer, provided by users of the appliance, it seems that the TV-commercials are exeggarating the machine’s quality, reliability and juice yield. According to the manufacturer and the infomercials the Power Juicer produces 30% more juice from the same amount of produce than other juicers.
According to tests carried out by independent experts, this is an overstatement. In the commercials seen on TV the Jack Lalanne is compared to very basic cheap juicers. There are several other juicers that are very efficient and can make a lot of juice from fruits and vegetables (Omega Juice Extractors, Breville Juicers, L’Equip juicers).
Most Frequent Consumer Complaints
- Motor failure – several customers said that the juicer motor broke down in a very short time (after a few juicing in extreme examples, or after 6-8 months).
- It’s not dishwasher safe – plastic parts get deformed (Note: you have to place the parts on the top rack of the dishwasher, away from the heating coil). The chrome trim around the perimeter of the juicer lid gets off easily if you wash it in dishwasher. The Deluxe model which has a chrome-finished body has the same problem if cleaned in dishwasher.
- Performance is not as good as shown in the commercials: the machine often stalls or gets clogged, and it sometimes spits juice all over.
- Gets stained easily – especially when juicing carrots and oranges.
- Wear and use shows very early.
- Not all the pulp gets in the container but a great deal of it stays in the receptacle.
- You have to tilt the machine to get all the juice out gathered in the receptacle.
- Doesn’t juice carrots and other roots well – you have to place more than one piece and use pressure with the help of the plunger.
- Noisiness: some users say the Jack LaLanne juicer is quite silent, while others claim that it’s noisy. In our opinion this juicer is less loud than similar other models.
Jack LaLanne Power Juicer Models
5 models are available priced between cc. $100 – $150. The motor of the five models is identical.
- Power Juicer Classic – the most basic model of all the Jack LaLanne Juicers, all-white molded plastic housing
Price: cc. $90 – $100.
- Power Juicer Express – plastic housing, available in several colors besides white, has an anti-drip spout
Price: cc. $90 – $100
- Power Juicer Deluxe – plastic housing with silver exterior finish (chrome plated) on the base and with black plastic lid , anti-drip spout.
Price: cc. $110 – $120. Read a detailed review on the Jack LaLanne Power Juicer Deluxe.
- Power Juicer Pro – stainless steel housing, anti-drip spout, stainless steel filter basket
Price: cc. $ 140 – $150. Jack LaLanne Power Juicer Pro Review
- Power Juicer Elite – can make soy milk, stainless steel and plastic construction, non-drip spout
Price: cc. $140 – $150. Power Juicer Elite Review
Conclusion – Is the Jack Lalanne Power Juicer Worth the Price?
The Power Juicer is good for the occasional juicer, who wants to make 2-3 glasses of fresh vegetable and/or fruit juice quickly.
On the other hand, there are several other fruit and vegetable juicers (Breville, L’Equip, Nutrisource) that are more efficient and cost less than the Jack LaLanne, and received far better reviews from users.
Official website: JLL Power Juicer
Some Good Alternatives to Jack LaLanne Power Juicers
- Nutrisource 1000
- L’Equip Juicers – Especially the Big Mouth 215 XL is a good alternative to Jack Lalane’s Power juicers.
- L’Equip 215 XL Juicer – centrifugal, pulp ejection machine with 3″-wide feeder chute and 10-year warranty period.
- Breville Juice Fountain Elite 800JEXL – often rated as the best centrifugal juice machine.
- Hamilton Beach Juicers – the most inexpensive electric juice extractors (HealthSmart models sell for only cc. $30 – $40) are offered by Hamilton Beach. The best-value model is the Hamilton Beach 67650 Big Mouth Juice Extractor with 800-watt motor and metal safety locking arms.
- Waring Professional Juicers – Compact centrifugal units with pulp ejection. One of the best models offered by the brand is the Waring Pro JEX450 Centrifugal Juicer with wide feed chute and 850-watt motor.
- Best-Selling Centrifugal Juicers – recommended fast juicers that use centrifugal force to extract the liquid content of fruits and vegetables.
- Big Mouth Juicers Comparison – compare large feed chute centrifugal juicers like Breville, Omega Big Mouth, Waring Pro, Hamilton Beach, and Juiceman Jr JM400.