Good to Know Before You Start Juicing Regularly
If you are new to juicing you should read the following articles first.
Why Juice at Home?
Why juice regularly? Why not just eat fruits and vegetables?
According to health and nutrition experts we should eat at least 5 servings of fruits and 3 servings of vegetables to supply our body with essential vitamins, enzymes, minerals and other nutrients. It is not easy to achieve this in today’s accelerated lifestyle and according to health organizations we don’t eat enough fresh fruits and veggies.
Juicing allows us to consume a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, leafy greens in an easy-to-digest, concentrated form. In whole produce a large part of vitamins, enzymes, phytochemicals, and minerals are trapped in the fiber that our body can’t digest so the nutrients aren’t able to absorbed by and assimilate dinto our body. Juicing eliminates the fiber from produce leaving you with clean, nutrient-rich juice that – with the fiber removed – is absorbed and digested almost immediately by your body.
Read more on the Benefits of Juicing.
How Often to Juice?
Juicing can be done at various levels of dedication and with varying frequency depending on your life circumstances and the goals you wish to achieve with it. Even if you’re a novice juicer try to do it at least a couple of times a week preferably at the same time of the day. I juice once every day, early in the morning before eating any solid food to ensure quick and efficient absorbtion of the nutrients.
The Various Levels of Juicing:
- As Part of a Regular Daily Diet – This usually means juicing once a day as a supplement of your normal diet to give your body added nutrition.
- Juice as a Meal – you substitute fresh juice for a meal – this can aid in losing weight while ensuring that your body gets all the essential vitamins and other nutrients. Drinking juice for a meal also helps to energize because your body won’t be bogged down with the work of digesting solid food.
- Juice Fasting – drinking only fresh (mostly) vegetable juices, water and herbal teas for at least several days or once a week. It will clean your digestive system, helping the body to get rid off toxins accumulated through ordinary diet. Juice fast will also help in weight loss because you will consume less calories while perfectnourishing your body.
Which Juicer to Buy?
Juicer Guide – various types of juice extractors explained: masticating/gear-style, centrifugal, hydraulic presses, steam juicers. Juicing is a very simple and straightforward process that can be easily made part of your daily routine. To achieve this it pays to invest in a quality juicer that will last long, works efficiently, easy to use, looks good and won’t break down within the first few months of using it. You should also choose a unit based on your lifestyle, pace of life, goals you want to accomplish with juicing (weight loss, energizing, detox) and how much you can afford to pay for it.
Juicer Buying Guide – what to pay attention to when buying a juice extractor? If you’ve never owned a juicer and want to give juicing a try to see whether you will like it and likely be doing it regularly on the long run then it’s best to start with a cheap $50 unit.
Juicer or Blender?
They are two different appliances that do two different things:
- Juicers remove the fiber from produce giving you clean, easily-digestable nutrient-boosted liquid that your body will absorb very quikcly, building in and utilizing the nutrients.
- A blender pulps the produce leaving in the fiber so the result is dense, nutrient-packed, rich-tasting smoothie that is more filling (and takes more time to digest an absorb) than juice. Smoothies can also be yummy but healthy treats for kids (or the whole family) – instead of an ice-cream or a slice of sugar-loaded cake you can have a delicious fruit smoothie. You can read more on juicer vs blender here.
Vegetable Juicing – why juice veggies and greens, recommended juicers for juicing vegetables and greens.
Which are the best fruits to juice (and the ones that cannot be juiced), best machines for juicing fruits.
Juicing for Kids
What and how to juice for children? It is especially hard to get children to eat the recommended daily portions of healthy food so juicing comes handy beacuse kids will more easily drink a glass of deliciously looking and tasty juice than munch an apple or a bowl of green salad. Naturally you have to pay extra attention on making the juice pleasant tasting and smelling so at first it is best to avoid using some greens and other veggies (kale, broccoli) when juicing for children.