An Easy to Use, Upright, Masticating Machine, Low Noise
- Very efficient juice and nutrient extraction while preserving the quality of live vitamins, enzymes and other phytonutrients,
- Space saving, vertical design (fits neatly on the counter under the kitchen cabinet.
- Very catchy looking especially in dark burgundy color.
Further Features & Benefits
- Strong 240-Watt motor (has higher horse power than other similar juicers, but it is geared down to protect nutrients from oxidation and heat damage),
- Silent operation- makes only 40-50 dBa noise when juicing (a low humming sound similar to what a kitchen fridge makes),
- No hazardous chemicals in parts incl. juice jar, pulp bin: all components are free of BPA-free (Bishpenol A: a chemical commonly used in hard plastic utensils and known to have detrimental effect on our body’s hormone system).
- It is designed to juice only and it does it very well because developers at NUC Electronics Co., Ltd., a Korean company, focused solely on improving juicing efficiency.
- The machine come swith innovative features that make juicing a a quick, hassle free task: a cool cleaning tool that swipe the juice screen clean in no time.
Detailed Review-Kuvings Slow Juicer SC Series
The powerful geared-down motor is very good at getting the most out of the produce you feed to it.
Instead of the mechanical grinding process of masticating machines, the single auger in the Kuvings slow juicer presses and extracts the vitamins and other nutritional goodness from the cells.
The result is delicious, smooth, rich tasting juice full of live nutrients. The pulp is fairly dry – a proof of good extraction capability.
Tasty, natural, slightly pulpy juice with very high nutrient content.
What Does the Kuvings Slow Juicer Juice?
The juicer works best (yields the highest juice volume) with high-water content, firm veggies and fruits. It juices vegetables, leafy greens, wheatgrass and harder fruits exceptionally well.
Very good with beets, spinach, chards and other green leaves. A bit foamy juice from apples and pears.
TIP: leave the smart cap open to prevent foaming when processing produce that tends to foam when juiced.
TIP:Do not put in the juicer hard seeds of apricots, peaches, frozen fruits, oily seeds (sesame, sunflower seed) because the machine was not designed to process these and they may damage parts or the whole appliance.
Sturdily built appliance made of high-quality long lasting, BPA free materials. Powerful, dependable motor.
Features at a Glance
- Method of Juicing: a new, patented technology using a short, sturdy, single auger and 2 stage juice extraction
- Motor power: 240 Watt ( horsepower, with gear reduction)
- Revolution speed: 78 rpm
- Construction: single gear, slow juicer, upright design, durable, BPA free materials
- Gear Material: GE Ultem heavy-duty plastic, BPA-free,
- Gear size: 3.46″ (88mm)
- Feed tube: 2.25″ x 1.25″, wide oval shape
- Dimensions (Lx H x D): 9.64″ x 17.12″ x 6.49″
- Weight: 17.5 lbs. (7.9 kg)
- Electricity consumption: 350 Watt
- Noise: cc. 40-50 dBa (a conversation is around 40-50 dBa) compared to high-speed centrifugal machines that make around 70-80 dBa
- Colors – SC Series: 901SE (Black/Silver), 850SC (Silver Pearl), 900SC (Black Pearl), 940SC (Burgundy Pearl), 950SC (Chrome)
- Price range: $330 – $499
- Warranty: 10 years on the entire appliance
What Can You Juice with it?
- Fruits: harder fruits (apples)
- Citrus: yes
- Vegetables: yes
- Leafy Greens: yes
- Wheatgrass: yes, as well as barley grass and herbs
Pros & Cons at a Glance
- Tasty juice with long shelf life and high juice volume
- efficient with a wide range of produce (plastic plunger is only needed when you process leafy greens)
- Simple to use and clean
- Compact, space saving size
- Parts made of non-harmful materials
- Sturdy construction
- silicone parts are a bit tricky to clean and assemble
- cannot be cleaned in dishwasher
Using the Juicer: Tips for Best Results
Assembling the Parts
- Place the auger in the strainer. Turn and press down on it until it clicks into place.
- Assemble the strainer into the rotation wiper then place this assembly into the juicing bowl ensuring the red dot on the strainer is aligned with the red dot on the juicing bowl.
- Align the red dots on the three parts: feed chute with lid, strainer, juicing bowl then put them together and turn the lid clockwise.
- Place the drum lid on the juicing bowl, red dots aligned.
- Align the down arrow on the drum lid with the OPEN mark on the base and turn to the CLOSE position.
- Place the pulp bin under the pulp spout and the juice cup under the juice spout.
- Prepare the ingredeints you want to juice: wash them well, remove hard skin or peel if necessary (do not juice produce with hard or inedible skin on pumpkin, melon, pineapple, citrus fruits), remove seeds too. Cut produce into thin (cc. 0.5-1″ wide and 2″ long) wedges (8-10 pieces9 that will fit into the feed tube.
- Press the Forward button to start the machine.
- Slowly add the produce pieces, one at a time. The rotating ascrew will pull down the pieces then slowly masticate and extract juice.
- Troubleshooting: If the juicer gets jammed and the drum lid does not open, press the OFF button. Then press and hold the REVERSE button until the ingredients become dislodged. Repeat REVERSE – OFF – FORWARD as often as needed to achieve the desired result. If the juicer does not work after these steps, take it apart and clean the parts before operating the juicer again.
- At the end of juicing, run the juicer for an additional 30 seconds to let the machine extract the remaining pulp.
- Turn the machine OFF.
When to Close the Smart Cap?
- Use the smart cap closed to mix the juice in the bowl, and prevent dripping when you finished juicing.
- Leave the smart cap open when juicing ingredients that create excessive foam during extraction, (e.g. apples, celery).
TIP: Don’t let the juicer stand on the counter unwashed for half a day - wash the parts right after juicing otherwise bits will stuck to the inside and parts (especially in the holes of the strainer), might cause the lid to stuck, and makes clean up a hassle in the end.
- Run water through the machine while still assembled to flush out bits stuck to the sides and screw.
- Close the cap at the end of the juice spout, then fill the juicer slowly through the feed chute with water and run the machine for about ten seconds, then open the cap and let it all flow out into the pitcher.
- Turn off and unplug the machine.
- Disassemble it:Turn the lid counter clockwise then lift it. Turn the juice bowl counter clockwise and lift it off the base. TIP: if the lid is stuck, press the Reverse – OFF- Forward Buttons (in this order) to hel dislodge the top, repeat this if it is still stuck.
- Take out the juicing screw and filter and filter wiper, use the brush to remove all pulp residue under the tap. Use the tip of the brush to remove residue from the crevices of the auger. Dry the tip well where it connects to the motor shaft, well.
- Remove the silicone ring from the juicing bowl and clean the pulp spout well under running water.
Video on Cleaning an Upright Juicer
Summary & Rating
The Kuvings Slow Juicer is a high peformance low-speed machine that is packed with great features (especially the SC series) ensuring high juice yield and nutrent content. It takes up little counter space due to the upright design.
Makes less noise than most othe rjuice extractors. Works great with all sorts of produce leaving behind mostly dry pulp.
Recommended for those who take jucing seriously and want to have a great performing, dependable unit.
Parts that Come With the Kuvings Slow Juicer
All parts are made of BPA-free materials that according to current knowledge don’t pose a danger to your health. Eastman Tritan, a tough, durable plastic made without bisphenol A or other bisphenols (BPS)
- Juicing Bowl (Eastman Tritan Plastic) with Smart Cap
- Base (Eastman Tritan Plastic) with the motor inside
- Drum Lid with Feed Tube (ABS)
- Cleaning Wiper (ABS with silicone)
- Cleaning Brush
- Auger (or screw)
- Juice cup (Eastman Tritan)
- Pulp collector (Eastman Tritan)
- Pusher – easy to hold slim design
- Detailed instruction manual
- Recipe book (75 pages)
About the Manufacturer: NUC Electronics Co., Ltd., a Koren-based company with the experience of more that 30 years in manufacturing good-quality small household appliances makes Kuvings juicers, including centrifugal, traditional masticating and vertical slow models.
Available Models & Related Offers