The Best Single Auger Juicing Machine for Home Use
The Omega 8006 Juicer has been introduced to the market in the second half of 2008 and since then I’ve read only rave reviews about this versatile appliance made by the reputable Omega company, known for its high-quality juice extractors (both centrifugal and auger-type models).
The juicer’s full name is Omega 8006 Nutrition Center meaning that the unit is not only capable of juicing a variety of vegetables (including wheatgrass and leafy greens) and fruits but can be transformed into a grinder, mincer, homogenizer, and pasta maker.
The high quality and durability of the juicer is backed by a 15-year warranty.
Let’s see how this machine works and what are the characteristics and benefits that make Omega 8006 one of the best-value juicing machines.
Features & Benefits of Omega 8004-8006 Juicer
The Omega 8006 is the advanced version of the Omega 8003/8005 model so the main technical features are identical.
- Single Gear, 2-Phase, Masticating-Type Machine – The Omega 8006 juicer is equipped with a heavy duty auger (translucent black) constructed from GE Ultem material that is said to be 8-times stronger and durable than augers used in other single gear juicers. The auger is FDA-approved. Juicing is done is two steps:
1. the produce pieces are crushed by the rotating auger,
2. the liquid content is separated from the pulp by pushing it through the filter screen.
- 1/3 HP sturdy motor powers the machine providing 2 HP crushing power for the gear – this enables the juicer to process a wide range of produce (firm and stingy veggies, leafy greens, fruits) and efficiently extract juice without heat build-up and foaming.
- Low-RPM motor – runs at 80 RPM (revolution per minute) – this ensures that the juice will contain all the valuable nutrients in their original form contained in the produce cells – there’s no heat generated by the motor so the vitamins, enzymes won’t get destroyed during the extraction process. The Omega 8006′s low-speed juicing method will provide you with fresh, live juice.
- Two screens for juicing soft and hard produce and for higher juice yield.
- 1.5″ Wide Feed Tube – this is not very large but cutting the produce into smaller pieces doesn’t require much time, and the juicer can process smaller chunks more efficiently. The drawback of the large tube is that cc. 10-15% of the juice gets wasted.
- Fewer Parts ensure that the Omega 8004-8006 juice extractor is quick to assemble and disassemble and it is easy to juice with. There are only 4 parts to wash after using: the feed chute, the auger, the screen or one of the other nozzles if you make pasta, and the pulp bin.
- Built-in Reverse Feature – in case the machine jams (e.g. due to adding too much produce at once) just press the Reverse button and it clears the clogging by reversing the moving direction of the auger so you can continue juicing without having to stop and disassemble the unit.
- Elegant Look – although the housing isn’t stainless steel but chrome-plated plastic, it’s durable and looks very attractive (better than the white Omega 8003/8005).
- Built-In Handle – instead off the flip-up holder of the Omega 8003/8005, Model 8006 has more streamlined, integrated handle that ensures portability of the unit.
- Quiet Operation – it’s one of the most silent juice extarctors. It makes as much noise as a low-speed hand mixer.
- UL- and CUL (Commercial) Approved
- Requires 120 Volts/60 Hz, 150 Watts
- 15-Year Warranty on all parts and labor – no other juicer manufacturer gives this long guarantee period (Super Angel and L’Equip have 10-year, the Norwalk juice press has 12 -year warranty). If all other aspects of the juicer models you compare are equal, the longer warranty will tip the scale towards the Omega 8006.
- Price: the Omega 8006 is available in the $270 – $300 price range (if you’re lucky you can find it for around $250 which is is a steal for such a great performing appliance).
- Length: 16″
- Height: 12.5″
- Width: 7.5″
- Auger length: 6 14/25″
- Weight: 13 lbs.
What Can You Juice With the Omega 8006 Nutrition Center?
This is a multi-function machine that will you serve you in the kitchen for many years being your numebr one aid in the various kitchen tasks. The juicer comes with 6 nozzles (end caps) for performing the various jobs.
- Vegetable and Fruit Juicer – the main function of the Omega 8006 is extracting juice from fresh produce and this is a task that it has to excel at it. It does, because the juicer is highly efficient in obtaining juice from all kinds of vegetables and fruits in a gentle way that produces fresh juice high in live enzymes, vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals. It can process citrus fruits, apples, pears, peaches, as well as vegetables like carrots, beets, celery, cucumber.
- Wheatgrass, Herbs and Leafy Greens – one of the main problems of many juicing machines is that they aren’t good at extracting juice from grasses (wheat and barley grass) and leafy veggies. Greens like spinach, parsley, kale, chard, cabbage, lettuce are packed with nutrients that can be best processed by the human body in fresh, juice from.With the Omega 8006 juicer you’ll have the ability to provide you and your family with all kinds of green juices (or you can combine with fruits to dampen the slightly harsh taste) that boost the immune system and helps prevent illnesses and diseases. And the best thing is that you don’t have to spend an hour on the task. A centrifugal juicer cannot juice wheatgrass and green leaves (isn’t designed for it) it will just run through the machine and stick to the juicer bowl without much juice obtained.
The Omega 8006 juice extractor is easy to use and clean so you can happily juice several times week or every day without dreading using it. The whole process, from washing and cutting the produce, to setting up the juicer, juicing, taking apart and washing the parts, takes about 20-25 minutes.
Other tasks you can perform with the Omega 8006 Juicer and Nutrition Center:
- Homogenizing – you can make baby food, sauces and pate-s, pastes.
- Pasta Making – with the various nozzles (needed to put at the end of the machine) you can make different shapes of pasta from dough.
- Making Nut Butters – you can make delicious nut butters from roasted peanuts, walnuts etc.
- Making Fruit Sorbets, Ice Creams – wonderful sweets can be made from frozen fruits (strawberry, raspberry, banana) and you decide how much sugar, and other ingredients (milk, yogurt, cream) you add – healthy delights without any artificial colorings, and other additives. TIP: let the frozen fruit thaw a bit so that it won’t be too hard so that the machine will be able to process it more easily through the blank nozzle placed at the end of the unit.
- Making Soy Milk, Nut Milk – obtains milk from soy beans or coconut.
- Grinding – it grinds meat, spices, and coffee beans (although I would use a dedicated coffee grinder due to the strong aroma of fresh roasted coffee).
- Mincing – you can chop garlic, herbs and other seasonings with it.
Juicing is done in two stages: in the first step the slowly rotating auger crushes the produce with a force equivalent of 2 HP, while forwarding the juicy pulp and squeezing through the filter screen producing delicious, fresh juice and dry pulp.
The benefit of the low-speed process is that the oxygen from the air doesn’t get mixed into the juice so there’s no oxidation of the nutrients. The proof of this is that apple juice made with the Omega 8006 juice extractor doesn’t start to turn brown while juice produced with fast centrifugal juicing machines will start to darken immediately.
Furthermore there’s no heat accumulation (it can be caused by the motor) so the vitamins, enzymes don’t get cooked. All valuable content of the fruit and vegetable cells are preserved in their original form, providing the best for your body.
The juice volume is high which is demonstrated by the dry pulp (e.g. 4 mid-sized apples yield 1 quart of juice).
The power button and the reverse switch are at the back, on the lower side of the unit.
Videos on Using the Omega 8004-8006
Juicing Apples and Carrots with the Omega 8004/8006
Juicing and Leafy Greens, Making Coconut Milk, Fruit Sorbet and Pasta
Making Nut Butter
Omega 8006 vs Hurom Vetrical Juicer – Comparison
Omega 8006 Juicer and Omega 8003/8005 Comparison
The two models are almost the same but there are slight differences. Let’s find out about therm:
Omega 8006-Omega 8003/8005 Comparison
Improved auger – sturdier material is used (GE Ultem melamine) ensuring longer life
FDA-approved melamine auger (which is also of high quality and processes the produce well)
built-in carry handle
15 years on all parts and labor
10 years (all parts and labor)
Find out more details about the Omega 8003/8005 Juicer. Read also a detailed review on the Omega Vert, Juicer VRT 330, which is a vertical single-gear unit with wide-feed chute and self-cleaning features.
The Omega 8006 is packed with great features but the true decision on whether it’s a great juicer or not is made by the users. Let’s sum up what owners of the machine say about its performance.
- Simple to use and clean – the 4 parts (feed chute, auger, screen or some of the other nozzles, pulp container) that require cleaning need only a thorough rinsing under warm water which takes about 3 minutes
- Juices well wheatgrass and leafy greens obtaining a high volume of juice.
- Excellent at juicing carrots (especially if cut into smaller sticks)
- Good for citrus fruits although the pulp is wetter than pulp from veggies it compares well to centrifugal type machines. (if you like to drink large quantities of citrus jucies you’d better use a centrifugal juicer tough such as L’Equip Mini Model 110.5 or the larger mouth L’Equip 215 XL).
- Silent – it makes a low level buzzing sound during operation which isn’t disturbing at all.
- Sturdy, well-engineered appliance that was made to last several decades
- Very long warranty – 15 years on the entire unit
- Affordable price – some other similar juice extractors cost way more (Super Angel juicer is around $800 – $900).
TIP: read a review on the Omega 8004/8006 Juicer submitted by a user. Here you find user reviews on other Omega juice extractor models.
Conclusion – Who Should Buy?
It is a great value appliance and very moderately priced compared to other single auger juicing machines. The Omega 8004-8006 is excellent at extracting juice from greens including wheatgrass but fruits are processed just as well.
Compared to other similar juice extractors the Omega 8006 is one of the most easiest to use and clean so it is highly recommended for those who want to make fresh juice several times a week without having to spend a great deal of time on the task.
Official site of the manufacturer: Omega Juicers
Alternatives – Low-Speed Single-Gear Juice Extractors
- Kuvings Upright Slow Juicer – not a cheap model, but it is very good at extracting juice from a wide range of veggies and fruits.
- L’Equip Omni Juice Extractor – A single auger unit using the simialr cold press process (80 RPM), juices wheatgrass, and other leafy veggies, carries 10-year warranty.
- Lexen Electric Healthy Juicer – it is one of the cheapest unit in this category (costs cc. $150-$160).
- SoloStar II Juicer - this single-gear unit made by the U.S-based Tribest Corp. also juices in two steps and operates at 80 rpm.
- Samson Juicers – there’s a single-gear (Model: GB-9001) and a twin-gear model (KPE 1304 aka Green Power Kempo)