Overview & Best Models
A quality wheatgrass juicer will help you to get juice from one of nature’s best natural medicines: wheatgrass. This simple green plant contains countless vitamins, enzymes, minerals, trace minreals that help you in detoxification, cleansing your blood and body.
These are only the most important benefits of wheatgrass that you can enjoy by regularly drinking its fresh juice for which you’ll need a good wheat grass juice extractor.
Types of Wheatgrass Juicers
A wheatgrass juicer extracts juice from the grass blades by carefully pressing them and squeezing out the liquid content with all the chlorophyll, vitamins, and trace minerals in it.
The slow, pressing process ensures that the juice and the nutrients will not be destroyed by oxidation. A good wheatgrass juicer works at 80-120 RPM (revolution per minute) compared to high-speed centrifugal juice machines that operate at more than 1000 RPM.
The best wheatgrass juicer brands include:
- Tornado (formerly called Back to Basics),
- Green Star,
- Sundance Wheateena.
Wheatgrass extracts 92 of the 102 minerals contained in soil. It is also one of the best non-animal source for B12 vitamin. 10 inch x 20 inch flat of wheatgrass will provide 10-12 ounces of juice, juiced either with a manual or electric machine.
1. Manual Wheatgrass Juicers
If you’re a serious wheatgrass juice drinker then you need a manual juicer that is designed specifically for juicing wheatgrass. These machines can only handle delicate grass-like plants and cannot cope with other veggies and don’t juice fruits.
Benefits of Manual Wheatgrass Juice Extractors
- These hand-operated juice machines are easy to use and clean.
- Low cost – manual wheatgrass machines are affordable and since they don’t need electricity to work they have no additional cost.
- You can run through the pulp several times to extract as much juice as possible.
- Takes up little space – a manual wheatgrass juicer doesn’t weigh much (4-7 lbs.) and it isn’t bulky and it can be conveniently placed on a kitchen counter.
- Silent operation – no motor, no noise.
Price range of manual units: $40 – $100.
Recommended Manual Wheatgrass Juicers
There are a couple of top-quality and inexpensive, hand-operated machines available in stores:
Lexen Healthy Manual Wheatgrass Juicer
It is very simple to assemble and use.
Cleaning is hassle-free: the Healthy Juicer doesn’t contain screen with fine holes that are difficult and time-consuming to clean. The pulp comes out through the front of the end cap into a separate bowl.
Apart from wheatgrass, the Lexen Helathy juicer juices other leafy greens (spinach, herbs etc.), as well. It works best with wheatgrass though, extracting high level of juice from the blades leaving behind dry pulp.
Quality Materials – Don’t think that the low price (sells for around $45 – $50) of the Lexen Healthy Juicer means that is made of cheap materials. The parts that endure the most load (the tip of the auger and the inside of the end cap) are made of stainless steel, while the rest of the appliance is durable polycarbonate.
Tornado or Back to Basics Wheatgrass Juicer
All major parts of the Tornado manual wheatgrass press are made of stainless steel that’s why it costs cc. two times more than the Lexen Healthy juicer.
This is a lightweight, compact-size appliance (dimensions: height: 11″, width: 8″, depth: 5″, weight: 7 pounds).
Using this machine is effortless: just clamp it on a counter or tabletop and you can start squeezing fresh wheatgrass juice. The Tornado (former Back to Basics) manual wheatgrass press comes with 5 year warranty.
Z-Star Manual Wheatgrass Juicer – read review of this small, efficient unit that has received very good ratings from users.
Easy Health Juicer – similarly to the Z-Star, the Easy Health is an inexpensive manual juicer available mainly in the UK and other European countries. It is great for juicing wheatgrass, barley grass, herbs and sprouts.
More Manual Wheatgrass Juicers… – Find out more about other wheatgrass juicing machines: Hurricane Stainless Steel Wheatgrass Juicer, Miracle Stainless Steel Wheatgrass Juice Extractor, Z-Star Wheatgrass Juicer, Weston Manual Wheatgrass Juicer.
2. Electric Wheatgrass Juicers
An electric wheatgrass machine plugs into a power outlet ensuring continuous juicing. Electric units cost more than manual models. There are two types:
Dedicated – designed to juice wheatgrass and other similarly delicate greens.
- The Sundance Wheateena Marvel Wheatgrass juicer (price range: cc. $370 – $450) is a dedicated wheatgrass juicer for home use. The Wheateena Workhorse II (cc. $850 – $900) is a heavy-duty, high-output commercial wheatgrass juice extractor.
- The Miracle Electric Wheatgrass Juicer, Model MJ 550 is a stainless steel model that provides high juice yield. It is an inexpensive household machine which is best for occasional juicing of wheatgrass. It also handles well soft fruits and berries. Price: cc. $140 – $190.
Multi Functional Electric Juicers – These multi-purpose juice extractors handle many types of vegetables (carrots, beetroot, celery, leafy greens) and fruits (citrus fruits, apple, pear, pineapple etc.).
These are masticating type machines – either single auger or twin gear models – that get the juice out from the produce by a slow, mechanical process, protecting the nutrient content against oxidation. Find out more about masticating type juice extractors.
Other good-value, multi-purpose electric juicers that juice wheatgrass are:
- Samson 6 in 1 Masticating Juicer or the Omega 8003/8005 juicer.
- The Omega 8006 is an updated version of models 8003/8005 that juices all sorts of greens and most fruits well.
- The Omega VRT 330 vertical juicer is a more expensive single-auger unit ( costs cc. $350) that juices wheatgrass and vegetables well. Due to the upright design it takes up little space on a kitchen counter.
- Green Star juicers are twin gear machines operating at low speed and juicing well all kinds of stringy vegetables as well as wheatgrass.
The Most Inexpensive Electric Wheatgrass Juice Machine
The Lexen Electric Healthy Juicer is a versatile kitchen appliance with many functions. Apart from juicing wheatgrass (there is a special auger for this purpose), it efficiently extracts juice from all kinds of fruits and vegetables.
There’s a removable stainless steel screen to get rid of the fiber, but if you prefer you juice pulpy then use the machine without the screen. This way it will be easier to clean the machine after using.
It contains a powerful motor (2.63 horsepower) with an auger speed of 73 RPM. The stainless steel shaft and the polycarbonate parts ensure durability and long life of the applaince which is testified by the long warranty period (8 years on motor, 1 year on parts). It comes with various attachments with which you can make 3 types of pasta (spaghetti, rigatoni, linguine).
Other included parts are:
- wheatgrass auger,
- fruit & vegetable auger,
- stainless steel screen/sieve,
- pulp container,
- juice cup.
- Length: 15″
- Width: 7″
- Height: 11″
- Weight: 16.5 lbs.
Price of the Lexen Electric Juicer: cc. $150 – $180.
Commercial Wheatgrass Juice Extractors
For juice bar or raw food restaurant you’ll need a heavy duty commercial-grade wheatgrass juicer that provides high juice yield.
Sundance Wheateena Workhorse II
(Models 3002, 7001, 7002, and 7003) – a favorite restaurant and juice bar juice extractor.
The sturdy wheatgrass extractors made by Sundance Industries are popular wheatgrass juicing machines used in juice shops and raw food restaurants. It makes approx. 2.5 – 3.5 oz. juice in a minute from wheatgrass, herbs and other green leaves. All parts are designed to ensure simple assembly and disassembly.
The motor is permanently lubricated, no extra maintenance is required. Motor is assembled on strong stainless steel brackets providing stability.
The cast iron juicing fountain is hot dip tin-plated ensuring durability even for heavy demand juicing. The continuous pulp ejection guarantees quick, uninterrupted juicing.
- Motor: 91 RPM, torque 130 inch pounds
- Weight: 25 lbs.
- Height: 11″ (drive unit: 8″)
- Length: 10″
- Width: 6″
- Plugs into a 110-120 V/50-60 Hz outlet (or 220-230V/50-60 Hz for overseas).
- NSF and UL approved.
- Warranty period is 6 months on motor when used in a commercial unit (1 year in case of home use).
Price of the Wheateena Workhorse II Wheatgrass Juicer: cc. $800-900.
Miracle Pro Green Commercial Wheatgrass Juicer Model MJ-575
The Miracle Pro is a good-value commercial quality wheatgrass and vegetable juicer. It’s a high output machine with all parts made of stainless steel ensuring durability.
The stainless steel auger and housing will last many years, ensuring quick and easy juicing of wheatgrass and other leafy greens.
The strength of this model lies in the geared down (53 RPM), yet powerful motor that is very silent during juicing. The special forward and reverse mechanism of the motor ensures uninterrupted juicing without any clogging.
The grass or vegetable fiber that might get tangled and clog the machine in the end gets quickly removed by this mechanism. You don’t have to stop the juicer and take it apart to get rid off the clogging.
The Miracle Pro Green Electric Wheatgrass Juicer makes cc. 2 oz. juice per minute. Although you can juice carrots, apples and other fruits and vegetables with it, the Miracle Pro Green is best for juicing wheatgrass.
- Power input under load: 75 Watt
- Power supply: 110Volt/50 Hz
- NSF approved
- Speed: 53 RPM
- Weight: 20.25 lbs.
Price: cc. $600 – $750.